It is perhaps this area of English law that is problematic most often for most people.  The law changes and has recently done so.  Many lawyers believe that there is an urgent need for reform.  Until then we at HRS will continue to stay up to date on the latest developments and changes.  As experts in family law we can guide you through this complex area.

The reality in the modern world is that many couples live and have children together without being married. The law that applies to this situation can be very different to where a marriage is involved.

The Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 is the basis for complicated case law that makes this aspect of family law one of the most difficult to navigate without specialist expertise.

At HRS we see many examples of this type of case each and every month. Other firms who are not specialists cannot say the same.

Please make a free first interview appointment at any of our offices to discuss options for separation, what to do with jointly owned houses and property, and even how and on what legal basis to care for the family pet.


Whether you are planning to get married, entering in to a civil patnership or simply moving in together, there are steps you can take to protect your rights and assets.